Monday, January 7, 2013

This Blog is My Bumper Sticker


Can someone...please, someone, explain to me what this is supposed to mean?



I like bumper stickers. I like that there are people out there who are willing to express their worldviews to me so that I can judge them on my morning commute. I'm always squinting to see what they say, swerving half out of my lane so that I can get a closer look, and hopefully a giggle of some sort. I personally don't have any bumper stickers. If I did, it would likely say something along the lines of "I'd rather be flying." I am, however, willing to say right now that if some bottom-dwelling jokester were to put the above on the back of my battered gray car, I would cheerfully take a baseball bat and bash it in until it was unrecognizable. 

Killin' me, smalls.

There are plenty of bumper stickers out there that irritate me. Like:




(Ugh. How many of you 'dreamers' are there, then?)

Or anything along the lines of:




(No. He's. Not. Trust me.)

But for some reason, "Coexist" takes the cake for me. 

It's so...patronizing. Self-righteous. As if it's as simple as, "Hey, guys, let's just get along. Let's just learn to live together." Just think...if we just learned to share the playground, there would be no more war! No more hatred! We would all hold hands and share ice cream cones and the world would be set to rights!

No. No. Because in all honesty, I have wondered many a time what the driver of the "coexist" car would do if I were to ram into them again and again. Would they be able to 'coexist' with that?

...Please. It's this simple-minded sort of preaching that gives me a headache and turns my knuckles white on the steering wheel. Because it's not about "co-existing," whatever that means. It's not about world peace.  It's about indifference. 

The fact of the matter is, these world religions do conflict. In Buddhism, salvation's from within. In Islam, Jesus is a prophet. In Christianity, He's the savior of the world. And if you're going to take whichever strain you belong to seriously, 'celebrating change' is going to get awfully hard - especially when someone's bashing your beliefs and all you hold dear - or saying that these beliefs simply don't matter - that's it's hardly worth discussing. 

Of course, I'm not at all saying that it's impossible to get along with people of different mindsets without slitting their throats. I do it every day on my way to work, when I see this ridiculous bumper sticker. But I am not indifferent to their beliefs, as they would, ironically, prefer that I be. 

Well. I'll keep an eye out for more irritating bumper stickers. Will keep you posted.




1 comment: